I suggest you ...

wysiwyg form editor

drag and drop form and table editor - options to load, save forms/tables.
Dragging to reorder elements

495 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    robclayburnAdminrobclayburn (Admin, fabrik) shared this idea  ·   ·  Admin →

10 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Jaanus NurmojaJaanus Nurmoja commented  · 

And even better (FREE) way to get Smart Former:(old version that is no longer available in their site

1. go to http://www.guidedhelp.net/

2. download Website Starter Kit from there, upload to your server and install Joomla with it. This kit installs Joomla 1.5.26 + several extensions

3. When installed, go to administrator and open SmartFormer, go to some form or start create new.

Now you see what I mean!

You can see the screen capture of this user interface in Fabrik forums

http://fabrikar.com/forums/index.php?attachments/smartformer-png.10104/

• PaulPaul commented  · 

Hi Rob, I think this is what you could model on.

Spider Form Maker

http://demo.web-dorado.com/

Loginto the Admin Backend and you will see the form designer in action.

Perhaps you could team up with these guys, saves you having to do all your own. They only concentrate on the form side of things, no database.

Paul
        P38

• Pawan JoshiPawan Joshi commented  · 

Can We expect it soon? Can we know how much work is already finished.

• robclayburnAdminrobclayburn (Admin, fabrik) commented  · 

Todd's comment was from 2 years ago, I have started working on this but its a massive project - no idea when it will be finished

• dorjanodorjano commented  · 

I totally disagree with Todd here! A nice wysiwyg form editor is a must. Really. As James stated try to make a little more complicated form and you'll see that is almost a nightmare to do it. For example there's no simple way of having elements in a group arranged in a mixed fashion, like first three elements in one row, then some empty space, then a row with just two columns etc. Well take whatever paper form and try to translate that to Fabrik and you'll get all my respect. But you can't. Well, you could put every single element in his own DIV and style that element individually. But c'mon !!

• NickBNickB commented  · 

Going for a full featured WYSIWYG is far more effort than it is worth in my view as it will require a huge amount of background work and will still have to cope with different templates etc etc etc.

What would be a really useful 'halfway house' approach is to have drag-n-drop re-ordering of fields in the back end form view, and to have a basic 'table-layout' structure available to use. Without going all crazy and devolving to using HTML tables, it should be possible to get fields to stack in two or three columns for presentation purposes.

As an example, I could define that my form has 1,2,[3...] Columns and when going in to the form from the table edit, the fields would be arranged across that number of columns. Combining this with a relatively simple drag-n-drop re-ordering ability would solve most of the WYSIWYG needs without troubling about all the detailed positioning overhead.

Add in the capability to insert NULL positioning elements in the layout [e.g. a gap in the middle of column 2] and this would enable a high level of customisation which would still support templating and CSS customisation.

SO I am voting Yes for a simpler,don't waste too much time on it, nearly-WYSIWYG!

• James MartinJames Martin commented  · 

I can see Todd's point, but if you're using Fabrik to build a LOT of forms, it can get really cumbersome doing all the template building for every single one. Just simple layout tweaks are cumbersome atm, and a drag/drop interface would make that a lot easier. It would also potentially open the door for some MUCH more aesthetic forms that re difficult to create with the current default top down structure. Yes you can use columns, but getting things to line up can become a real problem.

I agree though that in order to vote effectively here people really need to have some idea of the amount of time/dev effort that these changes would make. IOW if it's a case of being able to do ten other changes or just this one, then obviously that would affect how people vote :-). Might consider adding rough (totally a guess and NO WAY BINDING! ;-) ) guesstimate of how long each one might take?

• ToddTodd commented  · 

ok...I know this is a place to vote and be 'positive' about features we want...but I hate to poo poo on this idea other than to say I think it will require too much of your time when there are so many other features to develop that would benefit fabrik users. A wysiwyg editor would be nice....but I think Fabrik is more powerful than some wysiwyg editor can capture. You are not going to appeal to the guy that just wants a contact form...if so he can learn fabrik as it is now or he will use on of the other less featured form builders for joomla. Just my two cents....keep working on expanding other features before getting bogged down with a wysiwyg editor.

Feedback and Knowledge Base